Arizona Section of the American Association of Physics Teachers
Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the Arizona Section of the American
Association of Physics Teachers.
Article II. Objectives
1) The facilitation of the dissemination of information within and between
all levels of physics instruction in the state of Arizona.
2) The improvement of the teaching of physics.
3) The development of an interest in a career as a physicist for an
increasing number of young people.
4) The furtherance of the appreciation of the role of physics in our
Article III. Geographical Boundaries
The geographical boundaries of the Arizona Section of the American Association
of Physics Teachers shall be identical with those of the state of Arizona.
Article IV. Membership
1) The membership shall consist of teachers, students, administrators and
others who are interested in the teaching of physics in Arizona secondary
schools, junior colleges, colleges and universities. Membership in
the Arizona section is not contingent upon membership in the national organization
of the American Association of Physics Teachers. A non-member of
the national organization, but current members of the state section, may
participate in the activities of the Arizona Section, including voting
on affairs of a sectional concern, payment of local dues, and holding a
local section office.
2) Application for membership shall be sent to the Secretary-Treasurer
of the Arizona Section.
3) Those persons shall be declared members whose membership applications
upon examination by the Secretary-Treasurer have been found to be in order
in accordance with Section (1) of this Article.
Article V. Officers
1) The officers of this Section shall be:
c) Representative: Colleges
d) Representative: Junior
e) Representative: Secondary Schools.
The number of Representatives for Secondary Schools may be increased to two or
by the Executive Council.
g) Past President.
h) Section Representative.
2) The officers shall be elected at the annual Fall meeting. All
officers may be reelected to succeeding terms.
3) All terms of office will be for a period of one year. Elected
officers will take office at the Spring meeting following the election
Article VI. Committees
1) The officers listed in Section (1) of Article V shall constitute the
Executive Council of the Arizona Section of the American Association of
Physics Teachers. It will be the duty of the Executive Council to
meet and discuss urgent affairs and to give direction and purpose to the
2) The President may appoint ad hoc committees when deemed necessary.
Article VII. Representative to the Council of the American Association
of Physics Teachers
The representative to the Council of the American Association of Physics
Teachers shall be elected annually by the current members of the state
Article VIII. Nomination and Election of Officers
1) The President shall appoint a nomination committee, consisting of not
less than three (3) members of the Arizona Section, at least one (1) month
prior to the annual fall meeting. Nominations may also be made from
2) Election of officers shall be by majority vote of those members present
and voting at the annual Fall meeting.
Article IX. Amendments
1) This constitution may be amended
a. By a two-thirds (2/3)
majority of those current members of the state organization who are present
and voting at the annual fall meeting, or
b. By a two-thirds (2/3)
majority of a mail ballot conducted by the Executive Council of the current
members of the state organization.
2) Amendments may be initiated by:
a. The Executive Council
b. Petition from at least
(1/10) of the membership of the Arizona Section.
3) Any proposed amendment shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary-Treasurer
at least forty-five (45) days prior to the annual Fall meeting and be distributed
by the Secretary-Treasurer to the membership at least thirty (30) days
prior to the vote. The deadline for mail ballots will be 30 days
By-Laws of the Arizona Section American Association of Physics Teachers
I. Dues and Fiscal Responsibility
1) The annual dues for the Arizona Section shall be collected by the Secretary-Treasurer,
who shall report the financial status of the Section at each annual fall
2) The amount of dues shall be set by majority vote of the membership
of the Arizona Section. Membership will be dropped if dues are in
arrears of over one year. Any change in the amount of dues shall
be voted upon by mail ballot of the membership.
3) The dues shall be used for proper operation of the Arizona Section.
The proper use of the funds shall be the responsibility of the President
and shall be executed by the Secretary-Treasurer.
1) The semiannual meetings shall be held in the fall and the spring of
each year at a time and place decided upon by the Executive Council.
2) The Executive Council shall have the power to fix the times and places
of such meetings, as they believe to be in the best interests of the Arizona
3) The Secretary-Treasurer shall notify members of the times and places
of meeting at least thirty (30) days prior to these meetings.
III. Officer Vacancy
1) The vice-president shall automatically fill a vacancy in the office
of the President.
2) A vacancy in any one of the Executive Council offices, other than
that of the President, shall be filled with appointments made by the existing
Executive Council at the time the appointments need to be made.
These By-Laws may be amended by the same procedures as are set forth in
Article IX of the Constitution of the Arizona Section.
As Amended October 30, 1999