Note: Some of this information might be outdated!
ASU has two options for financial aid for teachers in the MNS degree program in physics. They are William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Graduate PLUS Loans) and federal TEACH grants. All eligible students, resident and non-resident, may apply to be considered for these programs.


Information below is an overview of the programs, compiled by Jane Jackson in consultation with the ASU financial aid office, to help you know the basics and where to find more information.


If you would like to apply for either of these programs for ASU Summer Sessions 2012, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA) for the current academic year (2011-2012). The FAFSA is available at . That website details the steps you need to complete, including applying for and receiving a PIN number. ASU’s Federal School Code is 001081. The last date to file a FAFSA for the 2011-2012 year is June 30, 2012.


The summer aid process begins mid-March. Federal Direct Stafford Loan consideration is automatic as soon as you register for summer courses at ASU (assuming that you have submitted your FAFSA). The ASU financial aid office can consider you for a TEACH grant only after you register for summer courses at ASU (and submit your FAFSA).


If you want to be considered for a TEACH grant: concurrent with your FAFSA submission, fill out the TEACH grant form on the ASU financial aid website. Or visit


Read about ASU’s financial aid process at Summer session is considered a trailer to the academic year. This means that if you were taking classes during Fall or Spring semesters, at any university, and you received federal student loans or a federal TEACH Grant, you will only have eligibility for remaining annual amounts.

The Director of Client Relations for the ASU Student Financial Assistance office is

Susan Sedik-Barker (480-965-1160)


Questions? Call 480-965-3355 (the call center)





ASU has limited Federal Perkins Loan funding. There is generally no remaining Perkins Loan for summer sessions.


ASU has William D. Ford Federal Stafford Loans for teachers in the MNS degree program who take five or more semester hours in summer (in either or both summer sessions). Students who register for courses for second summer session only will not receive a financial aid disbursement until second summer session begins.


Here is basic information about the loan programs (as of 2009).


The U.S. Department of Education, through the U.S. Treasury, funds William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans (Direct Loan Program). Under the Direct Loan Program, the funds for your loan come directly to ASU from the federal government. Your eligibility to borrow and the amounts and types of loans will be determined once ASU receives your FAFSA.


How can I get a Direct Loan?

For the summer term, you must fill out a FAFSA for the current academic year. For example, if you are attending summer 2012, you must complete a 2011-2012 FAFSA Once awarded federal student loans, you must go online to a federal website to complete and sign a master promissory note, a binding legal document that lists the conditions under which you're borrowing and the terms under which you agree to repay your loan. You may also be required to complete loan entrance counseling. To check for the receipt of your FAFSA, and any further steps to complete your financial aid you visit and look at your financial aid page as well as your “To Do List”.


How will I get the loan money?

After applying and completing the required promissory note and entrance counseling (see your “To Do List”), you'll be paid through ASU Student Accounts in two installments. Your loan money must first be applied to pay for tuition and fees, room and board, and other school charges; once that is complete refunds will be sent to you by check or direct deposit. You must sign up for direct deposit at least two weeks prior to disbursement. For more information about direct deposit, visit:


How much can be forgiven, and to whom?

For a federal Direct Loan borrower to qualify for loan forgiveness of up to $17,500, you must:

·      be employed full-time for five consecutive years as a highly qualified secondary school teacher of science or math (or K-12 SPED) in a public or private nonprofit school that has been designated as a "low-income" school by the U.S. Department of Education.

·      make the loan before the end of your fifth year of qualifying teaching.

·      If you have defaulted the loan, it cannot be cancelled for teacher service unless you've made satisfactory repayment arrangements with the holder of the loan.


The term highly-qualified teacher is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.


To see if your school site is eligible, use the searchable database of designated low-income schools, at OMB Number: 1845-0077. Perkins and Stafford Loan Cancellation for Service in Low-Income Schools

More details are on the Teacher Loan Forgiveness application (see next section, below) and at

(On that webpage, you can go to the searchable database of low-income schools by clicking on “Low-Income School Search.”)


How and when can I apply for teacher loan forgiveness (cancellation)?

You apply for forgiveness (cancellation) after you have completed the five-year teaching requirement. (Your principal certifies your application and signs it.)

Right now, prepare yourself by downloading and studying the Teacher Loan Forgiveness application at Click on Teacher Loan Forgiveness. (That application has much information, including a special definition of highly qualified for private school teachers.)


Postponing repayment while under consideration for cancellation

(Watch out! Be proactive on getting forbearance – temporary cessation of payments - each year before you complete the MNS degree; for the lender cannot refund any payments you make before you complete the fifth year of teaching service. Once you’ve borrowed, your loans will be serviced by the U.S. Department of Education, so you will deal directly with your lender, not with ASU. For more information, start with the U.S. Department of Education web pages cited here. You will probably need to make phone calls and send e-mails to get an extension of the six-month grace period, each year while you’re in the MNS degree program….)


(By the way, if you wish, you can read about the origin of the $17,500 Stafford loan cancellation at Enactment of the "Taxpayer-Teacher Protection Act of 2004" (P. L. 108-409; 118 Stat. 2299)


For more loan information, visit




B. The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. The first TEACH Grants were awarded for the 2008-2009 school year.


For the ASU MNS degree program in physics, the TEACH grant is usually appropriate only for those who are underprepared in physics content: generally, new and experienced out-of-field teachers who are preparing to become highly qualified in physics.


Full-time students who attend only summer session (not fall or spring semester) can be eligible for up to $2000, since ASU summer session is considered to be one term. A graduate student must take nine or more credits at ASU in summer to be considered full-time (since that is the minimum number of credits that the Federal government defines as full-time graduate enrollment in a term).

(According to the ASU Financial Aid Office, as of 2009 TEACH grants can be pro-rated for part-time study, down to one credit per term.)


Teachers newly admitted to the ASU MNS degree program in physics must have an overall GRE General test score that is above the 75th percentile. Returning MNS degree students must have an ASU cumulative GPA in the MNS degree program of at least 3.25.



In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time highly qualified teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. You must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education.


The term highly-qualified teacher is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.

Student Eligibility Requirements

To receive a TEACH Grant you must meet the following criteria (as of 2009; this might be outdated in 2012):


Details are at



This webpage is maintained by Jane Jackson

Last updated (partially) on March 28, 2012


Return to “ASU’s Summer Graduate Program for Teachers of the Physical Sciences”