SUGGESTED BUDGET FOR 3-WEEK ASU MECHANICS or CASTLE ELECTRICITY MODELING WORKSHOP (June 10-28, 2013). Compiled by Jane.Jackson@asu.edu . Updated on 4/18/2013
In early April 2013 I obtained a group discount for on-campus apartment housing for $360, including linens, for 2 or 3 weeks. Private bedroom in a 2-bedroom furnished apartment at Cholla Hall. I can lend pots & pans, dishes, silverware, etc. in the physics building. Grocery stores are nearby. Arrange your housing thru me, by early May. Keep in touch about it.
(In summer 2012 we had the same on-campus apartment housing for $350 for 3 weeks. This was for your own bedroom in a two-bedroom, 1-bath furnished apartment at Cholla Hall. It included linens, which you wash yourself. Teachers were pleased.) See housing document at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html.
FAMILY HOUSING IN SCOTTSDALE AT WINFIELD PLACE (beautiful & safe location, beautiful condos that are completely furnished, even linens, dishes, washer & dryer, etc. See housing document at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html. )
One bedroom rate is $650 per month plus utilities.
Two bedroom is $800 per month plus utilities .
Re-cleaning fee $125 on a one bedroom and $150 on a two bedroom.
LouAnn Wipperfurth, broker & manager of Winfield Place on Chaparral Road.
480-991-3765 - Home/Office
602-809-4491 - Cell
480-991-3944 - Fax
ASU TUITION AND APPLICATION FEE
ASU tuition & fees are about $3000, plus the $70 ASU application fee. Info about ASU tuition, etc. is at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS for mechanics:
* The mechanics modeling manual costs about $25.
* Arnold Arons' textbook: TEACHING INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS costs about $65 including shipping (I get a half-price discount for all modeling workshop participants.)
* 3-ring binder & 10 tab inserts, 9" x 12" quad-ruled notebook. These cost about $25 total, and teachers are asked to bring them from home, or they can buy them at the ASU bookstore or at a store near campus.
* OPTIONAL: The Karplus textbook: INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS: A MODEL APPROACH costs about $40, at amazon.com. (It is downloadable on the web, FREE. However, it is convenient to have the book in print.)
* OPTIONAL: Camp and Clement's PRECONCEPTIONS IN MECHANICS costs about $32 from the AAPT. However, you can download it for FREE at the AMTA website.
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS FOR CASTLE Electricity:
* The modeling manual costs about $15.
* 2 3-ring binders & 10 tab inserts. These cost about $20 total, and teachers are asked to bring them from home, or they can buy them at the ASU bookstore or at a store near campus.
For food, I suggest that you budget $20 to $25/day, if you eat breakfast in your apartment.
If you fly, budget $40 for taxi (i.e., $20 each way).
You do not need a rental car. In fact, we advise you NOT to rent a car, because ASU charges to park it. Local buses are FREE.
If you drive, budget $60 to pay for parking in a campus structure.
Note: the budget for the chemistry Modeling Workshop (July 1 to 19) is similar to that for mechanics, except that the lab practicum book, Arons book, and Preconceptions in Mechanics books are not needed. Four chapters in the Karplus textbook are assigned. Teachers should budget $100 for gasoline to/from the workshop location at 33rd Ave. & Roosevelt in Phoenix to their housing on the Tempe campus (or in Scottsdale, if they bring their family).