Ask Your School District to Pay with Federal Title II-A Funds

School District "No Child Left Behind" funds (NCLB Title II-A) can be used for "professional development activities that improve the knowledge of teachers ... in:
(a) Content knowledge. Providing training in one or more of the core academic subjects that the teachers teach; and
(b) Classroom practices. Providing training to improve teaching practices and student academic achievement through effective instructional strategies, methods, and skills ..."

The first funding priority for school district (LEA) "No Child Left Behind" funds (NCLB Title II-A) is to assist teachers to become Highly Qualified (HQ). Thus, the Arizona Department of Education requires that LEAs must support all non-HQ core academic teachers with Individual Teacher Plan by providing for AEPA testing fees, tutoring to prepare for AEPA exams, etc. Tuition can be provided for subjects (like secondary physical science/general science) for which no AEPA test exists. Read about the Arizona Guidance for Title II-A Funds .

See how much Title II-A money your local education agency got this year. Click on Title I and Title II Allocations, to download an Excel spreadsheet.

If you are in a rural low-SES school, visit Rural Education Achievement (REAP) - and ask your principal if you can get tuition funds via REAP.

Charter school teachers and private school teachers are eligible for Title II-A funds through a LEA.

Also, "Title II, Part A funds may be used to purchase materials and supplies used in professional development activities, including the materials (such as graphing calculators) that a teacher will need in order to apply the professional development in a classroom setting..." Title II funds may be used to assist teachers in meeting state certification requirements, e.g., by paying for the costs of additional required courses.

Title II-A funds are FEDERAL, and they are stable each year. Next year's funds start on July 1, and you can ask for those funds to pay for modeling workshops that start after June 30.

Your principal is the person to ask; he/she can contact your district Title II Coordinator and request them. Be courteous; if modeling workshops are NOT in your district's yearly plan (submitted to the State Department of Education), then you can be denied those funds -- in which case you need to get on your district committee that decides use of Title II-A funds each year.

We encourage you to download this NCLB guide and give it to your administrator to support your request. The bottom line is: you are probably eligible for NCLB funds, and we suggest that you ask your school or district, at minimum, for financial support for a Modeling Workshop using your local Title II funds. We suggest $1000 as a reasonable amount for teachers to request.

Click here to download a sample grant proposal that should help you obtain funding from your district.

A Modeling Workshop can be an excellent investment for your school because you can become a valuable resource for teaching science effectively with technology!

Then get involved in your LEA's needs assessment and plan, for your long-term benefit.

Note: In Jan. 2015, the U.S. Senate introduced a bill to re-authorize the ESEA. In the first draft, Title II-A funds are still given to states, so pursue asking for Title II-A funds.

Updated January 23, 2015 by Jane Jackson