HOW TO GET FINANCIAL HELP from your school and other sources, to take a Modeling Workshop and/or buy classroom technology (updated 2014)

1)  Ask Your School District to ay with Federal Title II-A Funds. A Modeling Workshop can be an excellent investment for your school because you can become a valuable resource for teaching science effectively with technology!   School District "No Child Left Behind" funds (NCLB Title II-A) can be used for "professional development activities that improve the knowledge of teachers ... in:
(a) Content knowledge. Providing training in one or more of the core academic subjects that the teachers teach; and
(b) Classroom practices. Providing training to improve teaching practices and student academic achievement through effective instructional strategies, methods, and skills ..."

The first funding priority for school district (LEA) "No Child Left Behind" funds (NCLB Title II-A) is to assist teachers to become Highly Qualified (HQ). Charter school teachers and private school teachers are eligible for Title II-A funds through a LEA.

Also, "Title II, Part A funds may be used to purchase materials and supplies used in professional development activities, including the materials (such as graphing calculators) that a teacher will need in order to apply the professional development in a classroom setting..." Title II funds may be used to assist teachers in meeting state certification requirements, e.g., by paying for the costs of additional required courses.

Title II-A funds are FEDERAL, and they are stable each year. Each year's funds start on July 1, and you can ask for those funds to pay for modeling workshops that start after June 30.

Your principal is the person to ask; he/she can contact your district Title II Coordinator and request them. Be courteous; if modeling workshops are NOT in your district's yearly plan (submitted to the State Department of Education), then you can be denied those funds -- in which case you need to get on your district committee that decides use of Title II-A funds each year.

We encourage you to download this NCLB guide and give it to your administrator to support your request. The bottom line is: you are probably eligible for NCLB funds, and we suggest that you ask your school or district, at minimum, for financial support for a Modeling Workshop using your local Title II funds. We suggest $1000 as a reasonable amount for teachers to request.

Then get involved in your LEA's needs assessment and plan, for your long-term benefit.

Proviso, added in 2014: most states got waivers from the “most onerous” regulations in NCLB, so some of this might no longer apply. Ask your principal, courteously – and/or visit your state’s Department of Education website and search for “ESEA waiver”.

Click here to download a sample grant proposal that should help you obtain funding from your district.


Another possible school district source of funds:  If you are in a rural low-SES school, ask your principal if you can get registration funds from Rural Education Achievement (REAP).

2) Seek financial support from a community service organization. (Strategies. Updated in Feb. 2014)

3) Click here for a list of funding sources for teachers, from foundations and community service organizations.


4) More resources are at

in the section called “Grants for Instructional Technology, Improved Instruction, Modeling Workshops”

    * List of grant sources for K-12 science teachers

    * Grant guide (old but useful)

    * (weblink) Vernier, Inc. grant guide, list of funding sources & articles supporting classroom technology

   *  Classroom technology: sample proposal

    * CASTLE electricity: sample proposal

    * How you can get classroom technology