Download Findings of the Modeling
Workshop Project (1994-2000)
This is one section in the Final Report submitted to the National Science
Foundation in fall 2000 for the Teacher Enhancement grant entitled Modeling
Instruction in High School Physics. David Hestenes, Professor of Physics
at Arizona State University, was Principal Investigator.
Enlarged graphs, for easier readability: view
Large effect size for Force Concept Inventory: 0.91. download
Download Findings of the ASU Summer
Graduate Program for Physics Teachers (2002-2006)
- a section in the Final Report submitted to the NSF in 2006, by David Hestenes
and Jane Jackson
Articles on Modeling Instruction
- Modeling Instruction: Theory and Practice:
- D. Hestenes, Modeling Games in the Newtonian
World, Am. J. Phys. 60: 732-748 (1992). Figure
2: Newtonian Theory ... Use in classroom.
- D. Hestenes, Modeling is the Name
of the Game
conceptual models and modeling in science education (1993).
- D. Hestenes (1997), Modeling Methodology
for Physics Teachers. In E. Redish & J. Rigden (Eds.) The changing
role of the physics department in modern universities, American Institute
of Physics Part II. p. 935-957.
- M. Wells, D. Hestenes, and G. Swackhamer,
A Modeling Method for High School Physics Instruction, Am. J. Phys.
63: 606-619 (1995).
- D. Hestenes, Toward a Modeling Theory
of Physics Instruction, Am. J. Phys. 55: 440-454 (1987).
- D. Hestenes, Notes for a Modeling
Theory of Science, Cognition and Physics Education. In E. van den
Berg, A. Ellermeijer & O. Slooten (eds.) Modelling in Physics and
Physics Education, (U. Amsterdam 2008).
- D. Hestenes, Modeling Theory
for Math and Science Education, In R. Lesh, P. Galbraith, C. Hines,
A. Hurford (eds.) Modeling Students Mathematical Competencies (New
York: Springer, 2010).
- D. Hestenes et al: A Graduate
Program for High School Physics & Physical Science Teachers, Am.
J. Phys.79: 971-979 (Sept. 2011)
- FCI data for ~1100 high school
physics students, excerpted from "A Graduate Program for High School...",
(download 1 page & graph). view
- Commentaries on Physics Education:
- D. Hestenes, Wherefore a Science
of Teaching?, The Physics Teacher 17: 235-242 (1979).
- I.Halloun and D. Hestenes, Common
Sense Concepts about Motion, Am. J. Phys. 53: 1056-1065
- D. Hestenes, Secrets of Genius, New
Ideas in Psychology, 8, No 2, 231-246 (1990).
- D. Hestenes, What do graduate oral
exams tell us?, Am. J. Phys. 63: 1069 (1995).
- D. Hestenes, Who needs physics education research!?
Am. J. Phys. 66: 465-467 (1998).
- D. Hestenes, The scientific method,
Am. J. Phys. 67: 274 (1999).
- (D. Hestenes): An Interview
with David Hestenes: His Life and Achievements, by Mehmet Fatih Tasar,
Sedef Canbazoglu Billici & Pinar Fettahlioglu. In EURASIA Journal of Mathematics,
Science & Technology Education, Vol 8, Number 2, May 2012. (90 minutes,
pages 139-152 .Scroll to the bottom of the webpage and download it FREE
- (D. Hestenes): Science
is the name, Modelling is the game: A conversation with David Hestenes
(2014; 35-minute video) at KTH Royal Institute of Technology,
Stockholm, Sweden. Ambjorn Naeve, Interviewer: he is Head of Knowledge
Management Research Group at KTH.
- D. Hestenes, A role for physicists
in STEM education reform (a guest editorial), Am. J. Phys.
83: 101 (2015). Posted with permission by the AAPT. http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.4904763+
Modeling Instruction compared with traditional instruction (a list of references
with URLs). View
FCI (Force Concept Inventory
- The revised Force Concept Inventory (I. Halloun, R.R. Hake, E.P.
Mosca, and D. Hestenes) is available (as a .pdf file) at the PhysPORT website
(and for a while at this site) to authorized educators. Please request it
and the password at https://www.physport.org/assessments/ for the FCI, MBT,
and other assessments. To view the file once you have downloaded it, you will
need Adobe Acrobat Reader (download
free from Adobe) and a password.
Simplified FCI: If you are teaching 9th grade physics, and would like
to use the Simplified FCI, please request it from David Koch, PhD, at FCIMBT@verizon.net.
E-mail him using your school e-mail address; and include your school name
and location. Your name in your request will be your promise to keep the test
and password secure, as described in the document you will receive.. David
is a retired physics teacher who kindly volunteered in August 2009 for this
service. (David asks that you include an alternate e-mail address if you think
your school is very restrictive of outside e-mail. If you do not receive a
reply within two days, ask for it again, from a different e-mail address.)
- Background articles
- Download English version
- Download Spanish (Espanol) version
- Download Portuguese version (revised
in 2012: Portugal)
- Download Portuguese version
(added in 2012: Brazil)
- Download the updated German (Deutsch)
- Download Malaysian (Bahasa) version
- Download Chinese version (simplified
- Download Traditional Chinese
- Download Finnish (Suomi) version
- Download Turkish (Turkce) version
- Email contact to obtain Swedish
- Download Russian version
- Download Italian (Italiano)
- Download Czech version
- Download Greek version
- Download Persian version
- Download Slovak version
- Download French version (Canadian)
- Download French version (France)
(Note: typos were fixed in Sept. 2013)
- Download Japanese version (revised)
- Download Arabic version (revised)
- Download Croatian version
- Download Indonesian version
- Download Norwegian version (added
in August 2014)
- Download Hungarian version (added
in September 2014)
- Download Dutch version (added in September
- Download Polish version for U.S.
letter size (8.5" x 11") (added in January 2015)
- Download Polish version for European
letter size (longer than 11") (added in January 2015)
- Download Filipino version (added in
- Download Icelandic version (added
in February 2016)
- Download Thai version (added in February
- Download Hebrew version (added in May
Note: you will need the password to view any of these files.
Articles about the FCI
Relevant FCI articles by other researchers
- C. Henderson, Common
Concerns about the Force Concept Inventory, The Physics Teacher
- N. Lasry et al: The puzzling reliability
of the FCI, Am. J. Phys 79: 909-912.
- S. Osborn Popp, D. Meltzer, C. Megowan: FCI
is Gender-Neutral Is the Force Concept Inventory biased? Investigating
differential item functioning on a test of conceptual learning in physics.
American Educational Research Association, Paper presented at the annual meeting.
New Orleans, LA.
- S. Osborn Popp, J. Jackson: Simplified
Force Concept Inventory: Can Assessment of Student Conceptions of Force
be Enhanced through Linguistic Simplification? A Rasch Model Common Person
Equating of the FCI and the SFCI (AERA presentation 2009).
- Maja Planinic, Lana Ivanjek, and Ana Susac:
Rasch model based analysis of the Force Concept Inventory, Phys. Rev. ST Phys. Educ. Res. 6 (2010).
- A. Savinainen and P. Scott: Using
the FCI to monitor student learning and to plan teaching
- L. Bao & E.F. Redish, Model
Analysis: Assessing the Dynamics of Student Learning. Physical Review
Special Topics: Physics Education Research 2 (2006).
Assessss spreadsheet and a google form, to enter student FCI data
1) ASSESSSSS: Visit the AMTA website to download assessssv5e.xls
(>10MB), an update in Sept. 2015 to ASSESSSS. (It is under the RESEARCH tab.)
New! It includes the Lawson Classroom Test of Scientific Reasoning (CTSR). You
can analyze the FCI and the TUG-K2 by clusters (i.e., subcategory: by each of
the 6 dimensions of the force concept).
ASSESSSS is an Excel spreadsheet that can provide individual and entire class
item analysis, especially helpful after pre-testing to determine instructional
focus areas. It is is preset for the Force Concept Inventory (FCI), Test for
Understanding Graphs in Kinematics (TUG-K2), Mechanics Baseline Test (MBT),
and it has additional answer keys for Energy Concept Inventory (ECI) and the
Conceptual Survey of Electricity and Magnetism (CSEM). This instrument was developed
by Jamie Vesenka, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Physics,
University of New England.
2) Template for a simple
google form to electronically collect student responses to the FCI (using
paper copies). (Copy the template into your google account.)
MBT (Mechanics Baseline Test)
Article describing MBT
Reformed Teaching Observation Protocol (RTOP)RTOP evaluation instrument (5 pages)
RTOP history, research, & results (forthcoming in 2016, when I findtime.
I have the CD of the 200-page research publication at ASU. Jane J).
RTOP training guide (10 pages)
RTOP reference manual (44 pages)
(weblink) RTOP online training
Self-Assessment This is a guide for science and math
teachers to reflect upon their teaching. This adaptation of the RTOP is by Drew
Teachers who use Modeling Instruction & join the AMTA can download a
Modeling Implementation Rubric at the AMTA
VASS (Views About Sciences Survey)
For VASS versions after 2004 and for R& D by Ibrahim Halloun,
please visit Dr. Halloun's web site .
of Modeling Instruction and Other Programs
Taxonomies of Student Conceptions by David Hestenes
and Ibrahim Halloun
- Download force conception taxonomy
- Download motion conception taxonomy
Return to Modeling Instruction home page
last updated on May 4, 2016 by Jane Jackson